On Tuesday, January 22, over 40 guests gathered at MVLE to dedicate our newly renovated performing arts studio! The studio space will be used for our MVLE Moves program and other movement programs for individuals receiving services at MVLE, along with our community partners.
In 2015, MVLE partnered with BodyWise Dance to create the MVLE Moves program which provides weekly movement arts classes for individuals served through MVLE’s programs. The success of these classes led to the creation of the MVLE Moves performance ensemble- a mixed ability cast including individuals with disabilities and local professional actors. The ensemble debuted it’s inangural show, ‘Everyday Oz’ in spring 2017 and is looking forward to presenting its third original production, ‘Rookie’s First Feast’ this spring. The group will tour throughout Northern Virginia, performing for audiences across our community.
The new studio space represents the growth of the MVLE Moves program over the past four years and provides amazing potential for the future.
During the ribbon-cutting ceremony, we stood in a circle so that everyone could hold onto the big blue ribbon. We invited people to make wishes for our future and we got some great feedback including:
– “I want to grow our ensemble and have more people join our performance group.”
– “Let’s have it every day of the week instead of just Tuesdays.”
– “I want people to learn something new every time they come to the rehearsal room.”
– “Peace on earth and goodwill toward men.”
– “I want the program to be a local lab with global reach.”
– “I hope that when people walk into this room, they realize that everyone deserves art and anybody can be an artist.”
View photos from the event here- https://www.facebook.com/pg/mvleinc/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2405837759486265
We hope you will join us for a tour of the new space or for an upcoming performance! If you’re interested in bringing the MVLE Moves ensemble to perform at your organization or business please contact Sarah Caldwell at email@example.com or 703-894-8247.